Solved IGNOU Assignment >> MPC004 >> Q14
14. Discuss the ways in which prejudice is manifested.As an attitude, prejudice is the negative feelings experienced on the part of the prejudiced when they are in the presence of, or merely think about, members of the groups they dislike (Brewer & Brown, 1998).
A person who is prejudiced toward some social group is predisposed to evaluate its members negatively because they belong to that group. Whether prejudice will be expressed in overt discrimination or not will depend on the perceived norms or acceptability of doing so (Crandall et al., 2002; Jetten, Spears, & Manstead, 1997).
Depending on what emotion underlies prejudice toward a particular group, the discriminatory actions that might be expected could be rather different. A prejudice can be manifested in the following behaviors:
1. Withdrawal: moving away from the object of prejudice.
2. Avoidance: avoiding situations where interaction with object of prejudice may be required.
3. Discrimination: biased behaviour against the object of prejudice
4. Lynching: behaviour aimed at causing physical hurt or injury to the object of prejudice.
5. Extermination: aimed at removing the existence of the object person of prejudice.
* * *
Social Psychology, 12th Edition by Robert A. Baron, Nyla R. Branscombe, Donn R. Byrne, Gopa Bhardwaj (Click for eBook)
If you found this useful, do remember to like Psychology Learners on Facebook and subscribe by email.
In a hurry? Download the full solved IGNOU assignments from the links below >>MPC001: Cognitive Psychology
MPC002: LifeSpan Psychology
MPC003: Personality: Theories and Assessment
MPC004: Advanced Social Psychology
MPC005: Research Methods in Psychology
MPC006: Statistics in Psychology
For 'SuperNotes' click here.
For Free eBook previews click here.
For other IGNOU MAPC material click here.
For IGNOU related information and material click here.