Q9. Asperger syndrome
It is named after Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger who, in 1944, studied and described children who lacked nonverbal communication skills, demonstrated limited empathy with their peers, and were physically clumsy.
- severe and sustained impairment in social interaction (Criterion A)
- development of restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, and activities (Criterion B)
- The disturbance must cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (Criterion C).
- There are no clinically significant delays or deviance in language acquisition (e.g., single non-echoed words are used communicatively by age 2 years, and spontaneous communicative phrases are used by age 3 years) (Criterion D), although more subtle aspects of social communication (e.g., ty pical give-and-take in conversation) may be affected.
- In addition, during the first 3 years of life, there are no clinically significant delays in cognitive development as manifested by expressing normal curiosity about the environment or in the acquisition of age-appropriate learning s kills and adaptive behaviors (other than in social interaction) (Criterion E).
The diagnosis of Asperger's was replaced by a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder on a severity scale, in (DSM-5).
* * *
If you found this useful, do remember to like Psychology Learners on Facebook and subscribe by email.
In a hurry? Download the full solved IGNOU assignments from the links below>>MPC001: Cognitive Psychology
MPC002: LifeSpan Psychology
MPC003: Personality: Theories and Assessment
MPC004: Advanced Social Psychology
MPC005: Research Methods in Psychology
MPC006: Statistics in Psychology
MPCE011: Psychopathology (not uploaded yet)
MPCE012: Psychodiagnostics (not uploaded yet)
MPCE013: Psychotherapeutic Methods (not uploaded yet)
MPCE021: Counselling Psychology (not uploaded yet)
MPCE022: Assessment in Counselling and Guidance (not uploaded yet)
MPCE023: Interventions in Counselling (not uploaded yet)
MPCE031: Organisational Behaviour (not uploaded yet)
MPCE032: Human Resource Development (not uploaded yet)
MPCE033: Organisational Development (not uploaded yet)
For 'SuperNotes' click here.
For Free eBook previews click here.
For other IGNOU MAPC material click here.
For IGNOU related information and material click here.