IGNOU Corner >> Solved Assignments >> MPCE012 >> Q9
Q9. Types of direct observation
Direct observation techniques involve obtaining actual samples of the individual’s behavior (Cohen & Swerdik, 2002).
The various types of direct observation are as follows:
- Naturalistic observation: involve viewing the individual’s behavior in real-life settings (e.g, psychiatric hospitals, work settings, and classrooms).
- Controlled observations: involve evaluating behavior in more structured situations (i.e, a laboratory room.)
- Role playing: which combines the naturalistic and controlled observational method, involves a person playing an assigned role for the purpose of assessing the individual’s behavior in various situations
They can also be classified as:
- Time allocation: Researchers randomly visit selected locations to observe people performing tasks without their knowledge.
- Continuous monitoring: Researchers observe the subject(s) and record their behavior either manually, electronically, or in both ways, to the maximum possible extent.
* * *
The Psychology of Personality: Viewpoints, Research, and Applications By Bernardo J. Carducci
If you found this useful, do remember to like Psychology Learners on Facebook and subscribe by email.
In a hurry? Download the full solved IGNOU assignments from the links below>>MPC001: Cognitive Psychology
MPC002: LifeSpan Psychology
MPC003: Personality: Theories and Assessment
MPC004: Advanced Social Psychology
MPC005: Research Methods in Psychology
MPC006: Statistics in Psychology
MPCE011: Psychopathology (not uploaded yet)
MPCE012: Psychodiagnostics (not uploaded yet)
MPCE013: Psychotherapeutic Methods (not uploaded yet)
MPCE021: Counselling Psychology (not uploaded yet)
MPCE022: Assessment in Counselling and Guidance (not uploaded yet)
MPCE023: Interventions in Counselling (not uploaded yet)
MPCE031: Organisational Behaviour (not uploaded yet)
MPCE032: Human Resource Development (not uploaded yet)
MPCE033: Organisational Development (not uploaded yet)
For 'SuperNotes' click here.
For Free eBook previews click here.
For other IGNOU MAPC material click here.
For IGNOU related information and material click here.