Q11. Defining features of short term therapiesShort-term therapy, is a generic label for any form of therapy in which time is an explicit element in treatment planning.
- Time is a key element: Therapy is “time limited,” allocating a fixed number of sessions for clients.
- Focus: Therapy targets specific patterns rather than attempt broader personality changes.
- Activity level of the therapist: Therapists adopt active methods to maintain the focus of treatment and promote self-understanding and change.
- Activity level of the client: Clients are absorbed in change efforts between sessions, as well as during them.
- Client selection: Therapy typically begins with an assessment to determine the appropriateness of brief treatment for a particular client.
- Enhanced experiencing: Methods, including hypnosis, relaxation techniques, introspection, confrontation, exposure, and role playing, enable individuals to experience themselves and their problems in new ways.
- Emphasis upon readiness for change: When clients are not aware of or not committed to changes, brief therapy goals focus on advancing readiness for change
- Emphasis on impact of intervention: Therapists emphasize promotion of corrective emotional experiences rather than exhaustive insight into past conflicts.
* * *
If you found this useful, do remember to like Psychology Learners on Facebook and subscribe by email.
In a hurry? Download the full solved IGNOU assignments from the links below>>MPC001: Cognitive Psychology
MPC002: LifeSpan Psychology
MPC003: Personality: Theories and Assessment
MPC004: Advanced Social Psychology
MPC005: Research Methods in Psychology
MPC006: Statistics in Psychology
MPCE011: Psychopathology (not uploaded yet)
MPCE012: Psychodiagnostics (not uploaded yet)
MPCE013: Psychotherapeutic Methods (not uploaded yet)
MPCE021: Counselling Psychology (not uploaded yet)
MPCE022: Assessment in Counselling and Guidance (not uploaded yet)
MPCE023: Interventions in Counselling (not uploaded yet)
MPCE031: Organisational Behaviour (not uploaded yet)
MPCE032: Human Resource Development (not uploaded yet)
MPCE033: Organisational Development (not uploaded yet)
For 'SuperNotes' click here.
For Free eBook previews click here.
For other IGNOU MAPC material click here.
For IGNOU related information and material click here.