Solved IGNOU Assignment >> MPC001 >> Q16
16. AlgorithmAlgorithm is an approach of problem solving where defined set of step-by-step procedures are followed to reach the correct answer to a particular problem. By correctly following the instructions, you are guaranteed to reach the right answer.
Algorithms have four properties:
1. Clear and precise definition of steps
2. Finite number of steps (it ends)
3. Provides correct answer to problem
4. Generically applicable within given context
They are contrasted with heuristics - a mental shortcut that allows people to quickly make judgments and solve problems.
When problem-solving, deciding which method to use depends on the need for either accuracy or speed. If complete accuracy is required, use an algorithm. If time is an issue, use a heuristic.
Example: You have a reservation at a restaurant to meet a friend but can’t remember the name of the place. What can you do?
One approach is to look at yellow pages and see if you remember. Other approach is to try calling all restaurants listed to ask if your friend made a reservation there. This algorithm—“Call every restaurant in the book”— will work; but it is time-consuming and inefficient.
* * *
Psychology, Robert Baron (Click for free eBook preview)
IGNOU study material
If you found this useful, do remember to like Psychology Learners on Facebook and subscribe by email.
In a hurry? Download the full solved IGNOU assignments from the links below >>MPC001: Cognitive Psychology
MPC002: LifeSpan Psychology
MPC003: Personality: Theories and Assessment
MPC004: Advanced Social Psychology
MPC005: Research Methods in Psychology
MPC006: Statistics in Psychology
For 'SuperNotes' click here.
For Free eBook previews click here.
For other IGNOU MAPC material click here.
For IGNOU related information and material click here.